In honor of Earth Day today, we are launching a brand new It’s Our Earth. Don’t Wear It Out campaign to raise awareness of the 12+ million tons of textiles that fill our landfills every year.
Did you know…
- 85% of discarded clothing ends up in the trash and buried in landfills every year in the U.S. with the average individual throwing away 70 pounds of textiles.
- If everyone dedicated just 10% of their purchases to secondhand clothing, it would have the same impact as taking 1 million cars off the road for a year, in terms of emissions reductions.
At Swap.com, we treat every day like Earth Day, and are doing our best to combat clothing waste by providing you with a more sustainable way to shop. In fact, the millions of secondhand items sold on Swap.com, since we opened our doors in 2012, has prevented 91,000 tons of greenhouse emission (CO2) from being released into the atmosphere (the difference between shopping secondhand first vs. buying new).
How can you help?
Many people are unaware of how their shopping habits can have a negative effect on our environment. We need your help spreading the word, which is as simple as sharing our Swap.com Earth Day video:
- Go to the Swap.com Facebook page to find our Earth Day video
- Share the video to your own page and tag your friends now until April 30
- Make sure to use the hashtag #SwapHowUShop so we can track your entry
- Make sure to set your post to “Public” so we can see it
Not only will you help bring awareness to this important topic, but you could be the lucky winner of a $100 Swap.com shopping credit. To increase your chances of winning, tag multiple friends in the post for extra entries. If you haven’t already, Like our Facebook Page. The video will be pinned to the top of the page so it’s easy to find.