One of the most frequently asked questions from Swaptree members is: How can I ensure I’m getting the best swap? Well, the answer is subjective really — it all depends on your needs, wants, haves, and hopes.
If you’re a repeat swapper, you probably hit the mailbox at least once a week sending out swap items and anxiously awaiting your next book, CD, DVD or video game. You know what you want, and you (hopefully) have a few friends lists on the site so you can peruse their favs. You’ve likely got a growing list of books, movies and games you need to test out and you’re a swapping maniac. You don’t care when it arrives, as long as it gets to you. We love it!
If you’re a once-in-a-while swapper, your needs are probably a little less scheduled. You swap for things as you need them, for example: you child’s summer reading list; a birthday gift for your gamer; your favorite beach read; and more. You’re a special breed – you’re meticulous and don’t settle for what you don’t want. You have your want lists, and you’re determined to get what’s on it, no matter how long you have to wait. Your dedication is admirable!
Whether you’re an avid swapper, stop by once-in-a-while, or you’re still testing things out on the site, everyone can use a few tips in how to make the most of the online bartering world. Without further adieu, we give you our Top 5 Tips for Successful Swapping:
- Ask for what you want! Don’t be shy when it comes to bartering. If you have an old copy of Eat, Pray, Love, and you want the new Jillian Michaels’ Wii Fit game, go ahead and add to your want list – you never know who might want your books, CDs, movies, and more.
- Be patient. If it’s not available now, it very well could show up on someone’s have list tomorrow. Keep checking and make sure to always add the items you want to your want lists, so we can alert you when something is available for trade.
- Be honest. Your swap allowances are based on your reputation. Other members ‘review’ you when they get your item so if you say it’s ‘brand new’ and in ‘great condition’, don’t send something that’s been torn, tattered or scratched.
- The more you swap, the more you get. Every time you put another item on your have list, the options for what you can get grow. When you’re done with an item, add it to Swaptree and start searching for your next book, CD, movie or game.
- Reuse packaging! Hold on to the packaging envelopes when you receive an item and reuse them to send out your next trade. This not only saves the environment, but can save you a lot of money. The average envelope is reused 4 times! Save money. Save the planet. What could be better?
Now that you’re armed with these top tips, as tried and tested by our own Swaptree team, go forth and swap! Have some of your own tips for successful swapping? We’d love to hear them! Leave them in the comments section below.