A good movie leaves a lasting impression. From the opening scene to the rolling credits, a good film completely takes over your space and immerses you into the plot, joins you with the characters and makes you feel as if you were part of the story line.
There are some scenes from movies we’ll never forget, like the first time Rhett grabbed Scarlett on the plantation, or when E.T. was dressed up in the closet with the other stuffed animals. But some of the most memorable scenes of movies come from the last words spoken. We’ve created this list of our top 10 last lines from movies – and even included a video clip for some to refresh your memory. What are your favorite last lines? Share with us in the comments!
10. “One thing about living in Santa Carla I never could stomach, all the damn vampires.” The Lost Boys (1987)
9. “They say they’re going to repeal Prohibition. What will you do then?” – “I think I’ll have a drink.” The Untouchables (1987)
8. “I do wish we could chat longer, but I’m having an old friend for dinner. Bye.” – “Dr. Lecter, Dr. Lecter, Dr. Lecter?” The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
7. “And that’s the hardest part. Today, everything is different. There’s no action. I have to wait around like everyone else. Can’t even get decent food. Right after I got here, I ordered some spaghetti with marinara sauce and I got egg noodles and ketchup. I’m an average nobody. I get to live the rest of my life like a schnook.” GoodFellas (1990)
6. (English subtitle translations): “What’s that mean, puke?” Breathless (1960, Fr.)
5. [he reads a note from Will: "Sean, if the Professor calls about that job, just tell him, sorry, I have to go see about a girl."] Sean: Son of a bitch… He stole my line. Good Will Hunting (1999)
4. “I find I am so excited I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it’s the excitement only a free man can feel, a free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope.” (voice-over) The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
3. “Good. For a moment there, I thought we were in trouble.” Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)
2. “Roads? Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.” Back to the Future (1985)
1. “The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn’t exist. And like that, he’s gone.” The Usual Suspects (1995)