I’m lucky enough to be writing this on my way to a vacation in the Bahamas, so I’ve got beaches on my mind. Where I’m headed it’s warm turquoise Caribbean water and soft white sand, but back home where I live north of Boston, its yellow gritty sand and c-c-c-cold Atlantic water. This has got me thinking – there are so many different kinds of beaches, and equally as many different kinds of movies with memorable beach scenes.
Here are a few on my list of most entertaining movies that prominently feature beaches.
- Beaches: It had to top the list because of the name.
- The Beach: Another obvious choice .
- Sleeping With the Enemy: The beach house that Julia Roberts escapes from is soooooo cool! I’d want to live there if I could get rid of that crazy man.
- Six Days Seven Nights: I think this one sticks with me because it was the first time Harrison Ford looked old on screen. In fact, the movie description actually describes his character as “grizzled.” Where did Han Solo go????
- Cast Away: I’d want to be alone on Tom Hanks’ island for maybe four days…. Four years would be a little much.
- Shawshank Redemption: The beach scene in this movie (you know the one – Zihuatanejo) makes me cry every time. EVERY time.
- The Blue Lagoon: “I don’t wanna talk about it. I just don’t wanna talk about it!”
- Point Break: Keanu Reeves’ minimal acting skills somehow only add to the fun of watching this movie. Bonus fact: Did you know there was a Point Break: The Musical??
- Blue Hawaii: Elvis!
- Saving Private Ryan: This one is actually on my swap.com want list. One of my top 10 of all time. Now THAT’S a beach scene.
I’m sure there are tons of obvious ones I’ve left off. What would you add to the list?