From the Cubs winning the World Series to the loss of ‘80s rock icons, 2016 has had ups and downs. As the year comes to a close, we wanted to look back on which fashion choices were your favorites and which ones fell flat at Swap.com. Taking into consideration clothing type, colors and brands, the Swap.com team compiled top-line findings of the most–and least–popular purchases of 2016. For example, would you have guessed California bought more bodysuits last year than any other state?
The Highs and Lows of 2016…
In 2016, the Top 10 most popular purchases on Swap.com nationwide included basic fashion staples no closet should be without. We also highlighted the states that purchased the most of these hot items.
Top 10 Most Popular Clothing Items
1. Shirts: #1 State – Wyoming
2. Dresses: #1 State – Texas
3. Shorts: #1 State – Texas
4. Jeans: #1 State – Wyoming
5. Blouses: #1 State – Texas
6. Tank Tops: #1 State – Vermont
7. Sweaters: #1 State – Wisconsin
8. T-shirts: #1 State – Utah
9. Skirts: #1 State – Utah
10. Jackets: #1 State – Washington
Blue vs. Yellow
The most popular color of 2016 was blue. The most popular piece of clothing purchased in blue was–not surprisingly–jeans, followed by shirts, shorts, dresses and t-shirts.
The least popular color of 2016 was yellow. The most popular pieces of clothing purchased in yellow were shirts, dresses, tank tops, t-shirts and bodysuits.
The most popular brand purchased from Swap.com was Old Navy with Vermont loving it the most. Check out the brands that made it into our Top 10 purchases for the year along with their loyal state, which bought this brand more than any other in 2016.
1. Old Navy: #1 State – Vermont
2 Carter’s: #1 State – Wyoming
3. Gymboree: #1 State – New Mexico
4. Gap: #1 State – Vermont
5. The Children’s Place: #1 State – North Dakota
6. Faded Glory: #1 State – Arizona
7. Motherhood Maternity: #1 State – Colorado
8. Cherokee: #1 State – Utah
9. Baby Gap: #1 State – Maryland
10. Disney: #1 State – South Dakota
Purchase Pre-Owned Goods Over Brand New
As a purveyors of pre-owned clothing and household goods, we want to celebrate the states that made the most purchases on Swap.com last year. Here are the Top 5.
4. New York
For these states, shirts and dresses from Old Navy ranked among the most popular purchases. However, we were more curious to see which clothing items didn’t make an impression on our most active customers. Below are the least favorite clothing items for 2016.
1. California: Shrugs, footed pajamas and sweater vests
2. Texas: Bodysuits, leggings and cardigans
3. Florida: Snow Boots, thermal underwear, wrist warmers and suspenders
4. New York: Polos, sweatpants, overalls and jean shorts
5. Pennsylvania: Rompers, Hoodies, jumpsuits and shorts
While fashion choices vary greatly from person to person, Swap.com has you covered with nearly two million unique items to shop. Discover your one-of-a-kind treasure treasure today and save 40% off select items.
Shop Women’s and save 40%
Shop Men’s and save 40%
We look forward to serving you in 2017. Happy New Year!