As frigid temperatures continuing to sweep the country, it’s safe to say that sweater season is here to stay for at least a few more months. While sweaters are a wonderful staple for keeping us warm and cozy during the colder months, it’s sometime challenging keeping them looking new from year to year. Unfortunately, pilling is an inevitable plight for most sweaters, regardless of the fabric or price point. And since pilling is cause by friction, such as moving your arms, it’s unavoidable. So, what can be done to prevent the problems of pilling? We’ve have listed five tips that have worked for us.
1. Clean Razor: Lightly shave down in the direction of the fabric’s weave to easily remove the pilled-up pieces.
2. Pumice Stone: Remove sweater fuzz by gently brushing the fiber balls in a circular motion.
3. Scissors: Lay your garment on a flat surface and carefully trim away the excess fabric.
4. Velcro: Apply hook side down, gently pull up and repeat.
5. Defuzzer: This handy device, which can be purchased for less than $15, carefully removes fuzz, lint, and pilling.